Dr. Chaosheng Zhang received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Peking University, and PhD degree from Institute of Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China. Dr. Chaosheng Zhang is head of Ryan Institute GIS Centre and head of Research Cluster of Environmental Change at Discipline of Geography, National University of Ireland, Galway. He teaches Geographic Information System (GIS) and statistics courses at School of Geography and Archaeology of the University. Dr. Zhang’s academic background covers both GIS and environmental geochemistry. His research interest focuses on spatial analyses of environmental variables, especially metals and nutrients in soils and soil organic carbon, using GIS, geostatistics and other spatial statistical techniques. One of the current research directions of Dr. Zhang is spatial analysis of environment and health. Dr. Zhang has published more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed journals (H-index based on Google Scholar: 25).
He is a reviewer for more than 40 international journals.
Dr. Zhang has research experience in China, Sweden, USA, Australia, Jamaica and Ireland. He was a University Fellow of Hong Kong Baptist University in 2013. Dr. Zhang is chair and organizer of several internationally leading conferences in environment, health and GIS (SEGH 2010 International Conference and Workshops on Environmental Quality and Human Health; SESEH 2012 Sino-European Symposium on Environment and Health; ISEH 2016 & Geoinformatics 2016, Joint International Conference on Environment, Health, GIS and Agriculture). Dr. Zhang is an international advisor to Jiuzhaigou National Park of China.
Dr. Zhang holds the following international professional positions:
- President of SEGH (Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health, www.segh.net)
- Chair of Funding Committee, IMGA (International Medical Geology Association, www.medicalgeology.org)
- Member of Editorial Board of Science of the Total Environment
- Coordinating Editor of Environmental Geochemistry and Health
- Founder and Co-Chair of SEGH China-Ireland Consortium
- Founder and Co-Chair of IMGA China-Ireland Concord
- Founder: SESEH Sino-European Symposium on Environment and Health (Branded as ISEH from 2014 International Symposium on Environment and Health)
Previous international positions:
- Vice-President of SEGH (2013-2015)
- Councilor of IMGA (2011-2015)
- Member of IMGA Conference Committee (2008-2013); Education Committee (2008-2013)